Prescription drug abuse is a serious and growing national health problem. In the Upper Peninsula, prescription drug abuse has caused deaths, ruined lives and torn families apart. Here are some facts from Delta County:
• There has been many deaths caused by prescription drug abuse.
• All, or most, of the deaths occurred when prescription drugs were mixed with alcohol or other drugs.
• At least 50% of all home invasions and burglaries are related to prescription drug abuse.
• There has been a dramatic increase in the number of people being prosecuted for the use, possession, and delivery of prescription drugs.
• Prescription drugs are highly addicting and can be lethal when mixed with alcohol or other drugs.
The Coalition Against Prescription Drug Abuse, the Elks Club, and the Delta Schoolcraft Intermediate School District are sponsoring a poster contest for Delta and Schoolcraft County students for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. The purpose of the contest is to increase community awareness of prescription drug issues. This contest is being held in conjunction with a poster and video contest for Delta and Schoolcraft County high school students.
Categories and Topics
The posters must be based on topics chosen by the sponsors of the contest. Each grade is assigned a specific topic.
Never put expired or unwanted prescription drugs down a sink or toilet.
Explanation: Prescription drugs should be dissolved in water and then poured into cat litter or sawdust and taken to the land fill. If not handled in this way, prescription drugs pollute rivers and lakes and harm wildlife.
Prescription drugs should be stored in a safe and secure location.
Explanation: Prescription drugs have been stolen from homes by relatives, health care workers, maintenance people, and others. The Coalition recommends that prescription drugs be stored in safe locations other than medicine cabinets.
Prescription drugs can be dangerous.
Explanation: When used as directed by a doctor, prescription drugs are essential to fighting illness, disease, and chronic pain. Prescription drugs can be dangerous and addicting if they are abused. Mixing alcohol with prescription drugs or mixing different types of drugs without consulting a doctor can be deadly.
Official Poster Rules
1. Poster must be no larger than twelve inches by eighteen inches.
2. Poster must be two dimensional.
3. The coalition reserves the right to reject any entry for any reason.
4. The posters must be submitted to your school office by Wednesday, March 6, 2013.
5. The students name, age, grade, and school must be on the poster.
JUDGING and PRIZES
Contest entries will be judged on the following criteria:
• originality and creativity
• pertinence to the assigned topics
4th Grade 5th Grade 6th Grade 1st $75.00 $75.00 $75.00 2nd $50.00 $50.00 $50.00 2nd $50.00 $50.00 $50.00 3rd $25.00 $25.00 $25.00 3rd $25.00 $25.00 $25.00 3rd $25.00 $25.00 $25.00 4th Gift Certificate Gift Certificate Gift Certificate 4th Gift Certificate Gift Certificate Gift Certificate 4th Gift Certificate Gift Certificate Gift Certificate 4th Gift Certificate Gift Certificate Gift Certificate 4th Gift Certificate Gift Certificate Gift Certificate